Employer: American Electric Power
Instrument Technician 2nd Yr - 3rd Yr
American Electric Power489 reviews - Hallsville, TX
**Position is posted as a range; Pay, title, and grade will be based on the qualifications of the individual selected**
Assist in the performance of highly skilled and complex work. Learn to analyze, detect and repair defects in interlock and control systems, electronic devices, including solid state equipment, computers, solid state communication systems, and instruments, such as: meters, gauges, process control valves, electrohydraulic turbine control, Boiler Control Systems, Burner management systems, fuel handling system (gas & coal) solid work of an intermediate grade of skill in connection with chemical analyses, water quality instrumentation, CEMS, EPA discharge monitoring equipment and calculations related to the operating efficiency of power plant equipment. Assist in engineering studies and calculations related to the operating efficiency of power plant equipment, and assist engineers in performing other technical services. Participate in continuous improvement activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS are listed below:
1) Learning to locate, inspect, troubleshoot and repair defects in control systems involving electrical, solid state electronic, mechanical, pneumatic or hydraulic components, tubing, (or plant specific systems) using elementary or wiring diagrams, schematic diagrams or control diagrams, along with knowledge of process control with assistance from journeyman or supervision.
2) Learning to install, calibrate, and maintain single-element and multiple-element control loops with assistances from journeyman and/or supervision.
3) Assist with performing necessary functions to place in or remove from service, instrument and control systems undergoing study, tests or adjustments.
4) Develop the ability to troubleshoot PLC and DCS Control Systems, Force Contacts, and locate hardware I/O addresses with assistance. Learn and obtain basic programming logic.
5) Assist others in preparing necessary data for engineering procedures, specifications, bills of material and requisitions for the installation, maintenance and operation of equipment.
6) Assist with setting up and connecting test devices used in tests on equipment such as boilers, turbines, generators, and other power plant equipment; perform or assist others in the performance of such tests.
7) Learn and as directed, operate and maintain equipment necessary to obtain temperatures, levels, pressures, and flows to obtain accuracy required; analyze data and calculate test results, applying general knowledge of flows using available handbooks, manuals and associated referenced material.
8) Learn to compile and record data relating to tests, investigations. Learn to prepare graphs, curves and reports.
9) Assist with maintaining the analyzing equipment to ensure accurate information for plant operations.
10) Obtain basic knowledge of industrial processes and systems.
Job Type: Full-Time
Education requirements are listed below:
• High School Diploma or GED and Associate degree in Electronics or Electrical Engineering Technology, Instrumentation Controls. For a Certificate: Electronics/Electrical Engineering or Instrumentation or equivalent
Work Experience requirement listed below:
Without degree, add 3 years experience in addition to HS diploma or GED � With accredited, Associates degree (2 years) -one year experience � With Certificate of Completion (18 months) and one year of applicable experience.
� Completion of AEP Apprentice progression � Job experience relative to this position: Steel mills, paper mills, nuclear, nuclear navy service, chemical, oil refinery, power plant, or similar industry.
Required License(s)/Certification(s) are listed below:
• Must possess the appropriate State driver's license.
Successful completion of the Power Plant Maintenance Selection System (MASS) test is required for this position. A review of Employment Testing Information, Test-Taking Tips, and the MASS Practice Test may be helpful. A link to these materials may be found at AEP.com Careers by selecting Employment testing. Must be willing to work rotating shifts including weekends, nights, and holidays. Minimum long distance travel required but the inspection of remote equipment is a daily requirement for this position. Must respond to callouts in both outage and non-outage work to maintain and support business operational needs and schedules. Comply with all applicable plant operating instructions and procedures. Comply with the rules, safety practices and procedures applicable to the work environment and report unsafe conditions and practices.. Must learn and have a working knowledge of Safety and Environmental guidelines.
Properly use the tools and equipment applicable to work duties. Read, interpret and work from simple prints and specifications. Communicate effectively, both verbally and written. Demonstrate professional conduct and effective interactions with employees, contractors and others. Must be willing and able to work inside designated confined space entry areas, elevated areas and in hot and cold temperatures. Must be able to wear respirator when required. Train for fire fighting, first aid, AED and other emergency response programs as required. Demonstration of applicable knowledge, skills and abilities are required for next progression within job family.
Location: Hallsville, TX
Application Method: Online: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?partnerid=25391&siteid=5247&PageType=JobDetails&jobid=500658&codes=INDED#jobDetails=500658_5247
Base Pay: DOQ