Employer: The University of Texas
The University of Texas at Austin Staff Jobs
Mechanical Maintenance Technician
Job Posting Title: Mechanical Maintenance Technician----
Hiring Department: Facilities Operations and Maintenance----
Position Open To: All Applicants----
Weekly Scheduled Hours: 40----
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt----
Earliest Start Date: Immediately----
Position Duration: Expected to Continue----
Location: UT MAIN CAMPUS----
Performs journey level preventive maintenance, inspections, diagnostic testing, and repairs of mechanical systems in campus facilities.----
Hiring decision contingent upon applicant clearing a security background check and receiving an acceptable driver's rating. Applications will be reviewed online by the hiring department.
• Performs preventive maintenance, inspections, diagnostic testing, and repairs of mechanical systems to include pumps, fans, compressors, and specialty equipment. Acquires field data from equipment, tags, and applies equipment labels. Driving University owned vehicles to job sites will be required for this and most other functions.
• Sets up rigging required to set pumps/fans. Sizes pumps and fans based on system parameters and pump/fan curves.
• Utilizes precision instruments to determine flow rates, pressure drop, etc. to insure proper alignment, installation, and operation of belts, chains, couplings, bearings, and other drive components.
• Performs critical preventive maintenance, lubrication, and inspections. Performs routine and preventive maintenance on specialty equipment such as heat wheels.
• Replaces and adjusts packing and seals. Replaces, aligns, and adjusts belts, chains, couplings, bearings, and drive components.
• Reads blueprints, works from specifications, and follows instructions both written and oral. Performs daily written explanations on work orders to document work done and to describe equipment problems.
• Assists plumber, refrigeration mechanics, pool and fountain technicians as needed.
• Participates in the On-Call Program.
High school graduation or GED. Three years of experience in journey level maintenance/repair of mechanical systems such as pumps, fans, compressors, and pneumatic equipment. Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate. Demonstrate excellent communication skills. Demonstrated ability to follow written and verbal instructions. Demonstrated ability to adhere to safety rules and regulations. Must have a current driver license. Candidate's Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) for the past 36 months must be clear. This includes all states resided in for past 36 months. Candidate must provide out of state MVR(s).
Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
Associate Degree. Graduation from technical or vocational trade school. More than three years of journey-level in the maintenance and repair of pumps, fans, compressors, pneumatic equipment, or associated mechanical systems. Experience using diagnostic equipment such as multimeters, power quality meters, accelerometers, etc. Experience at the University of Texas or in a university setting. Experience in more than one craft or trade. Working knowledge of computerized systems. Ability to read and understand technical manuals and blueprints related to trade. Ability to write reports summarizing work activities. Demonstrated stable work history.
This job requires a class "C" operator's driver's license. The applicant selected must provide a current three year driving record from the current state of residence. If not currently a Texas resident, a Texas driver's license must be obtained within 30 days of becoming a Texas resident. Employees who are required to have a CDL are subject to drug and alcohol testing (pre-employment, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, random, return-to-duty, and follow-up drug and alcohol testing).
Salary Range: $36,852 + depending on qualifications
• Uniforms and/or personal protection equipment (furnished)
• May work in all weather conditions
• May work in extreme temperatures
• May work around chemical fumes
• May work around standard office conditions
• May work around biohazards
• May work around chemicals
• May work around electrical and mechanical hazards
• Repetitive use of a keyboard at a workstation
• Use of manual dexterity
• Climbing of stairs
• Climbing of ladders
• Lifting and moving
Additional Working Conditions:
• May be exposed to loud noise, high dust and allergen levels. May lift up to 50 lbs. May work in confined spaces. Often required to twist, grasp, push, pull and bend. May require tuberculosis screening and occasional use of a respirator.
• 40 hours a week, five 8-hour days, or possible four 10-hour days with schedule to be determined with supervisor. 10 hour day schedule is Friday-Monday. 8 hour day shift is Thursday-Monday. Some overtime, evening, weekends and holidays possible.
• 3 work references with their contact information; at least one reference should be from a supervisor
• Letter of interest
Important for applicants who are NOT current university employees or contingent workers: You will be prompted to submit your resume the first time you apply, then you will be provided an option to upload a new Resume for subsequent applications. Any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) will be uploaded in the Application Questions section; you will be able to multi-select additional files. Before submitting your online job application, ensure that ALL Required Materials have been uploaded. Once your job application has been submitted, you cannot make changes.
Important for Current university employees and contingent workers: As a current university employee or contingent worker, you MUST apply within Workday by searching for Find UT Jobs. If you are a current University employee, log-in to Workday, navigate to your Worker Profile, click the Career link in the left hand navigation menu and then update the sections in your Professional Profile before you apply. This information will be pulled in to your application. The application is one page and you will be prompted to upload your resume. In addition, you must respond to the application questions presented to upload any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) that were noted above.
Regular staff who have been employed in their current position for the last six continuous months are eligible for openings being recruited for through University-Wide or Open Recruiting, to include both promotional opportunities and lateral transfers. Staff who are promotion/transfer eligible may apply for positions without supervisor approval.----
Retirement Plan Eligibility:
The retirement plan for this position is Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS), subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.----
A criminal history background check will be required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The University of Texas at Austin, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
The University of Texas at Austin will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Employment Eligibility Verification:
If hired, you will be required to complete the federal Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 form. You will be required to present acceptable and original documents to prove your identity and authorization to work in the United States. Documents need to be presented no later than the third day of employment. Failure to do so will result in loss of employment at the university.
The University of Texas at Austin use E-Verify to check the work authorization of all new hires effective May 2015. The university’s company ID number for purposes of E-Verify is 854197. For more information about E-Verify, please see the following:
•E-Verify Poster (English) [PDF]
•E-Verify Poster (Spanish) [PDF]
•Right To Work Poster (English) [PDF]
•Right To Work Poster (Spanish) [PDF]
Employees may be required to report violations of law under Title IX and the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act). If this position is identified a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified and provided resources for reporting. Responsible employees under Title IX are defined and outlined in HOP-3031.
The Clery Act requires all prospective employees be notified of the availability of the Annual Security and Fire Safety report. You may access the 2019 report here or obtain a copy at University Compliance Services, 1616 Guadalupe, Suite UTA 2.206, Austin, TX 78701.
Location: Austin, TX
Application Method: Online: https://utaustin.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UTstaff/job/UT-MAIN-CAMPUS/Mechanical-Maintenance-Technician_R_00010387
Base Pay: $36,852 + depending on qualifications