Control Systems Senior Technician
Salary: $69,264.00 - $82,344.00 Annually
Location: Kitsap County – Other, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 20DOT-WSF-90914
Closing: 10/15/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
Washington State Ferries (WSF), a division of WSDOT, is the largest ferry system in the U.S. and safely and efficiently carries nearly 25 million people a year through some of the most majestic scenery in the world. The WSF system is an essential part of Washington's transportation network, linking communities on both sides of Puget Sound with the San Juan Islands and internationally to Sidney, British Columbia. WSF has more than 1,800 employees throughout the Puget Sound region on vessels, in terminals, at the Eagle Harbor Maintenance Facility and at the headquarters facility in Seattle.
WSDOT is currently seeking an Control Systems Senior Technician to manage and supervise the repair, maintenance schedules, in addition to programing and integrating complex control systems, to maintain safe operations of WSF vessels.
What to Expect:
This position responds to reports of failure or malfunction within the WSF system on a 24-hour emergency call-out basis.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you/the Control Systems Senior Technician will:
- Install, maintain, troubleshoot, and repair shipboard components
- Support PLC systems and maintain an up-to-date library of PLC programs
- Maintain compliance with IEEE, NEMA, NFPA, USCG CFRs, and OSHA
- Troubleshoot faulty electronic systems and machinery
- Provide preventative maintenance of electrical components and computers
- Assist with updating Control Systems Schematics
- Availability to work any of the prescribed shifts at EHBR - Maintenance Facility to support operations
- Other duties as assigned
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Five (5) years of experience in the installation, testing, repairing of complex distributed PLC based control systems. Including Two (2) years of experience supervising crews specific to electronic controls systems
- Working knowledge of Electrical Safe Work Practices, AC and DC electrical theory, reading electrical prints and control schematics, mother control, computer hardware and software, computer networks, Human Machine Interface (HMI) systems, pneumatic and hydraulic control
- Ability to use basic computer programs such as Microsoft Windows, Office and Outlook
- Ability to adhere to and enforce organizational and industry procedures/standards for hazardous environments including but not limited to, working at height, respiratory protection, confined space, and lockout/tagout.
- Availability to work shifts outside of normal business hours as assigned by management
- Physical ability to safely and expediently work aboard a vessel where lifting, climbing, detail work in small spaces, and extended and frequent work aloft occur on a daily basis.
- Ability to obtain a TWIC credential
- Valid State issued driver’s license
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Associates degree in electrical engineering or a military training equivalent for educational requirements- Please provide a DD-214 upon request.
Respiratory questionnaire as required by regulatory authority, and annual fit test, which may include the requirement to shave if necessary, to obtain a skin to rubber seal
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your .qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Renee Mason, at MasonR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-WSF- 90914 in the subject line.
Location: Kitsap County, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/2876214/control-systems-senior-technician?keywords=90914&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $69,264 - $82,344 YR