Employer: City of Yakima
The City of Yakima Streets Division maintains nearly 400 miles of public streets and 44 miles of alleys providing street surface preservation, maintenance, repairs, sweeping, sidewalk repairs, arterial weed control, snow and ice control, and other seasonal service programs dedicated to the health, safety and welfare of our citizens.
The City of Yakima is a premier employer in the Yakima Valley with extensive opportunities for training and growth. The City offers a competitive benefit package including:
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage
- FREE healthcare clinic!
- WA State PERS pension plan
- Employer contribution to a 457 deferred Compensation plan
- Generous Accruals for vacation and sick leave
- Much more!
High school diploma, GED, or equivalent and two (2) years' experience in street/highway construction, maintenance, and/or repair; heavy construction; or related commercial concrete/paving experience.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES:
Must possess and maintain a valid Washington State Driver’s License. Must possess and maintain a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with a Class A endorsement as required by State regulations at the time of application. Must possess and maintain a Basic First Aid CPR Certificate, Traffic Flagging Certificate, forklift operator certification, and CDL Tanker endorsement within six (6) months of appointment.
Under general supervision, maintains streets, sidewalks, alleys, drainage systems and vegetation using light to medium, and occasionally heavy construction equipment and hand and power tools; performs related work as required.
- Breaks concrete and asphalt during the construction and repair of streets, sidewalks, drains, etc. Cleans and assists in the reconstruction of drains and siphons Uses jackhammer, hand tools and trucks to remove and replace asphalt, concrete and drainage system components; operates dump truck with chip spreader and paver to apply sealcoat chips and asphalt at specified rates; spreads gravel, sand and/or salt to snow and/or ice on streets at specified rates; collects and hauls leaves, snow, and other debris; operates street flusher, street sweeper, mower, and other equipment appropriate to the class as assigned. Compacts asphalt using vibrator roller, hand lute and other hand tools to contour, and level hot mix or other compact asphalt materials. Uses steel wheel and rubber tire roller to compact and prepare base for streets and operates the same during placing and finishing asphalt, chip seals and gravel streets or cleans streets using mechanized sweeper.
- May lead small crews in repairing cracks and holes in the street and sidewalks. May lead small crews in leaf removal litter pick up or vandalism repairs.
- Controls traffic at work site using cones, barrels, barricades, signs, flags and hand signals.
- Prunes vegetation in accordance with accepted pruning practice using chain saw pruning tools; removes trees and uses brush hog to grind prunings into chips; removes vegetation to correct clear view triangle problems, and vegetation affecting public facilities. Empties and cleans litter containers; removes litter, debris and dirt from sidewalks and curbs and responds to police calls to clean accident scenes. Shift work may be required periodically or as a regular schedule.
- Provides continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality customer service.
- May assign and monitor work of a small crew.
- Requires regular and reliable attendance.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Major Worker Characteristics:
- Knowledge of materials; pruning procedures; construction methods; traffic control procedures; and equipment capabilities used in street and related maintenance operations. Ability to operate vehicles and attachments; equipment and tools with precision, speed, and safety; occasionally performs hard physical work.
- Must possess well developed communication skills, both written and oral, with appropriate use of business English including correct grammar.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative and effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, other city staff, and the public. Demonstrates an attitude of cooperation and coordination of division efforts and efficient use of resources.
- Works safely and in compliance with the federal, state and local regulations, laws, policies and standards.
- Responds to emergency calls, diverse work shifts, and weekend and holiday work in accordance with applicable Contract Bargaining Agreements and city policies. May work as a team member or alone.
Work is primarily outside. Continuous use of both hands in reaching/handling/ grasping/fingering while performing duties. Occasional heavy work includes lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds. On rare occasions will be required to lift heavier weight with the assistance of others or mechanical devices up to 100 pounds; operating heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery. Occasionally ascends/descends stairs, ladders, and inclines while maintaining balance. Physical strength and ability sufficient to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods. Frequent bending/twisting at knees/waist/neck while performing mechanical repairs, maintenance items and other duties as assigned. Occasional kneeling/crouching/crawling while making repairs in confined spaces and awkward positions. May work at heights, alone, with others, or in noisy work area. May require constant moving, sitting or standing for excessive periods of time. May work outside in all weather extremes, be exposed to water, mud, dust, smoke, asbestos cement pipe, noxious odors, fumes, or chemicals, raw sewage and/or traffic. Continuous use of all senses including feeling/talking/hearing/seeing while performing duties and while communicating with co-workers, general public and completing all tasks as assigned. Must be able to distinguish color and maintain long-term and short-term memory. Will be required to wear safety protective gear when necessary. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
UNUSUAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Exposure to adverse weather conditions, traffic hazards, dust, fumes and liquid or mixed asphalts used at high temperatures. Shift work, emergency standby, standby or on-call assignments may be required. Shall be subject to random controlled substance and alcohol testing, pursuant to Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations, including 49 CFR Part 40 and Section 382 of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
Location: Yakima, WA
Application Method: Online: https://agency.governmentjobs.com/yakimawa/default.cfm?action=viewJob&jobID=2866468&hit_count=yes&headerFooter=1&promo=0&transfer=0&WDDXJobSearchParams=%3CwddxPacket%20version%3D%271%2E0%27%3E%3Cheader%2F%3E%3Cdata%3E%3Cstruct%3E%3Cvar%20name%3D%27TRANSFER%27%3E%3Cstring%3E0%3C%2Fstring%3E%3C%2Fvar%3E%3Cvar%20name%3D%27CATEGORYID%27%3E%3Cstring%3E%2D1%3C%2Fstring%3E%3C%2Fvar%3E%3Cvar%20name%3D%27FIND%5FKEYWORD%27%3E%3Cstring%3E%3C%2Fstring%3E%3C%2Fvar%3E%3Cvar%20name%3D%27PROMOTIONALJOBS%27%3E%3Cstring%3E0%3C%2Fstring%3E%3C%2Fvar%3E%3C%2Fstruct%3E%3C%2Fdata%3E%3C%2FwddxPacket%3E
Base Pay: $20.64 - $24.67 HR