Human Resource Associate - Seattle, WA
Salary: $32.17 - $40.77 Hourly
Job Type: Special Duty Assignment
Department: DES - Executive Services
Job Number: 2020JM12178
Division: FBOD-Finance & Business Ops
Closing: 10/1/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
This recruitment is to fill a Human Resource Associate Short Term-Temporary position that is anticipated to end December 18, 2020. If filled by a King County employee, it will be as a Special Duty Assignment.
Join us in the Finance and Business Operations Division (FBOD) of King County! FBOD is seeking a Special Duty or Short Term-Temporary Human Resource Associate in the Benefits, Payroll and Retirement Operations Section (BPROS). The successful candidate will provide customer service to employees on complex benefits issues by communicating accurate benefits information to employees and responding to general benefits inquiries. This position is needed during busy open enrollment season and is anticipated to end December 18, 2020.
Our ideal candidate will be highly team oriented, with a strong ability to provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
The Finance and Business Operations Division's mission is to provide exceptional customer value for accounting, procurement, treasury, payroll, benefits and small business services. We are actively seeking employees whose behavior is in alignment with our division's core values: Respect, Teamwork, Results and Innovation.
Scope of Job Duties: To be considered for this opportunity, you must at a minimum, demonstrate knowledge, skill and ability to do:
- Maintain and communicate appropriate information to program participants and ensure the confidentiality of records is maintained according to established policies.
- Provide customer service to employees by interpreting, communicating, and explaining the county's benefit programs.
- Assist employees via phone and conduct benefit enrollment presentations with technical on-line tools for the benefits programs; troubleshoot PeopleSoft login issues and reset passwords during open enrollment.
- Research, troubleshoot, and resolve insurance benefit eligibility issues. Consult with other staff and many different resources for benefits policy administration.
- Escalate claims issues to BPROS staff to ensure completion and accuracy. Research discrepancies between employee, payroll, benefit provider/s, and government agencies.
- Participate in systems testing prior to open enrollment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Competitive Candidates will have:
- Experience in a high-volume call center (50-100 calls/day per person) working environment that is fast paced with time-sensitive deadlines and strong customer service requirements.
- Experience in coaching and describing "how to" information to technically challenged employees, including experience guiding employees in the use of on-line enrollment tools.
- Working knowledge of employee benefit programs, practices and laws.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve, which includes analyzing, assessing and identifying options.
- Demonstrated ability in researching, interpreting, and reporting information.
- Strong communication skills with ability to express thoughts and ideas effectively, including the ability to apply public speaking and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to frequently multi-task various responsibilities with successful completion.
- Experience working as a team member; establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with a variety of others.
- Experience remaining calm when dealing with customers.
- Intermediate-level skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Operational experience with PeopleSoft, HRMS or other relational database system performing functional analyst duties, related to the benefits module.
Other Position Information:
This position is non-exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and is therefore overtime-eligible. Our employees are paid on a bi-weekly schedule, every other Thursday, comprising a 40-hour workweek; normally 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. This position is represented by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Local 117 - Professional and Technical Employees. This position will work remotely via telework and may be required to occasionally report onsite.
The Application Process:
This recruitment is open to all qualified King County employees and the general public. First consideration will be given to King County employees. This recruitment is to fill a Human Resource Associate Short Term-Temporary position that is anticipated to end December 18, 2020. If filled by a King County employee who has passed their initial King County probation, it will be as a Special Duty Assignment.
A completed King County Application is required. We highly recommend that you also provide a cover letter to tell us why you are interested in this position and how you are qualified.
If you have any questions or concerns while applying, please contact:
Jen Montoya, HR Analyst
Note: Online applications are preferred. However, if you cannot apply online, go to www.kingcounty.gov/jobs for other options.
If you need an accommodation in the recruitment process or an alternate format of this announcement, please inquire directly with the contact listed on the job announcement or the department's Human Resources Service Delivery Manager.
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer:
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
Location: Seattle, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/kingcounty/jobs/2868572/human-resource-associate?page=5&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $32.17 - $40.77 HR