Employer: King County Fleet Services
Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic - Renton, WA
Salary: $31.41 - $39.82 Hourly
Job Type: Career Service, Full Time, 40 hrs/week
Department: DES - Executive Services
Job Number: 2020AB12192
Closing: 10/7/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
PLEASE NOTE: This recruitment is for the purpose of fulfilling current career service vacancies and establishing a list for future vacancies.
Come join our team! King County Fleet Services is looking for a Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic. Heavy Duty Mechanics perform work on a variety of mechanical, electrical, electronic, powertrain, and hydraulic systems for vehicles, on and off road construction equipment, and portable and stationary equipment that supports getting work done throughout King County.
Why work at King County is a great place to work?
This is a fantastic opportunity to have a lasting and rewarding career in County government. You will have the opportunity to work in an organization that embraces diversity, institutes best management practices, values hard work, and empowers employees to innovate and strives for second-to-none customer service.
Our focus is to provide our employees a work life balance with:
- Competitive – healthcare plans
- Flexible – work environment
- Free – transportation options
- Manager Support – structured employee assistance program
- Paid – twelve days of vacation per year (in addition to paid holidays)
- Paid – twelve days of sick leave per year
- Paid – twelve week parental leave
- Deferred – compensation plan
- Employer contributions – to state pension plan
- Ten – paid holidays and Two Additional personal holidays!
This is highly skilled heavy-duty journey level mechanical work performed on a variety of mechanical, electrical, electronic, powertrain, and hydraulic systems for vehicles, on and off road construction equipment, portable and stationary equipment. Strong skills in troubleshooting and diagnosis are a primary requirement of these positions. This position may be in a shop environment or performed from a field service truck.
SCOPE OF JOB DUTIES:
The successful candidate at a minimum, must demonstrate skill and ability to
• Diagnose and repair all types of gas, diesel and hybrid powered equipment, including, but not limited to, automobiles, heavy/light trucks, tractors, backhoes, street sweepers, wheel loaders, various off-road equipment and trailers.
• Troubleshoot and repair emergency response vehicle radios, light bars, and security device systems
• Perform gas and electric welding and fabrication on mobile and stationary equipment
• Operate mechanical and electronic testing equipment to troubleshoot and repair systems
• Maintain service, maintenance and repair records
• Modify and fabricate stock equipment to meet County needs
• Repair and maintain shop tools and machinery
• Provide technical assistance, direction and advice to other workers, and give guidance on complex mechanical repair projects
• Read and Interpret equipment repair manuals, electric and hydraulic schematics and illustrated parts diagrams
• Safely perform repairs in the field during inclement weather
WE ARE LOOKING FOR CANDIDATES WHO:
• Must demonstrate proficiency to work with industrial and heavy duty equipment, hydraulic, powertrain, diesel and gasoline fuel, accessory and cooling systems.
• Knowledge of industrial and heavy equipment shop safety rules, procedures, and equipment
• Knowledge of technical terms used in light and heavy equipment repairs
• Skill in the use of electrical, electronic, hydraulic and mechanical test equipment and devices
• Skill in troubleshooting and repairing gas, diesel and hybrid engines and transmissions, hydraulic and electrical systems, diesel fuel and engine management systems, and radio, light bar, and security device systems
• Skill in using online and paper maintenance, repair and parts manuals to assist in maintenance and repair
• Skill in the use and care of hand and power tools
• Ability to safely operate vehicles and equipment with onboard systems to test and troubleshoot for proper operation of integral or installed systems before and after maintenance
• Ability to safely perform work and duties as assigned are required of this position
• Ability to have predictable and reliable attendance
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment
• Ability to perform work and duties on various shifts
• Ability to assist in the training of apprentices to perform technical tasks
• Ability to troubleshoot and repair hydraulic systems, pneumatic systems, electrical systems,
chassis and power-train systems
• Ability to navigate office productivity software and to operate and perform research on a computer. The County uses Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
THE MOST COMPETITIVE APPLICANTS WILL HAVE:
• Journey status with a minimum of 3 years of experience in heavy duty construction equipment, diesel and medium fleet automotive repair and maintenance, OR Two (2) years of experience in heavy duty construction equipment and medium fleet automotive repair and maintenance with participation in a 2 year Vocational, Military or Community College diesel or automotive mechanics program or recognized apprenticeship, OR any combination of education and experience that provides the candidate with the knowledge and skills set forth above.
• ASE Master Certification
- The successful candidate must have a valid Washington State Driver License
- Ability to obtain a Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with Class N and Air Brake Endorsement and current Medical Card
PASS A PRE-EMPLOYMENT PHYSICAL EXAM: An offer of employment will be contingent on the success of a pre-employment physical examination and reference check process. Typically, is completed within 3 weeks of offer.
PASS A PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG SCREEN: If you are a Current CDL holder, as required by federal regulations, you must submit to drug testing and test negative for presence of controlled substances; sign a Consent Form for release of Information for each employer for the past three (3) years; and successfully pass a background check for Alcohol and Controlled Substances testing, and a CDL background information.
POSSESS TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT:
- The County provides employees with a $500 per year tool allowance. The successful candidate must submit a complete tool inventory prior to start date.
- Heavy Duty Mechanic tool kit's consisting of standard and metric, open end and socket wrenches including:
- Open end wrenches: Standard size 1/4" through 1-1/4", Metric Size: 6mm through 20mm
Socket sets: 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" drive, standard size: 1/4" through 1-1/4", Metric Size: 6mm through 20mm. Various pliers, screwdrivers and other hand tools required to perform the essential functions of the job. Air operated power tools to 1/2" impact gun.
FIRST AID/CPR CERTIFICATION:
The selected candidate must obtain First Aid and CPR certifications within 6 months after start of employment. This training is available from King County and may be completed during hours of employment.
TYPICAL WORK SCHEDULE:
The typical work schedule for these positions is 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday. Our shop operates from 6 am to 6 pm to best serve our customers. Alternative schedules may be required to meet business needs. Additionally, mandatory overtime and weekend work during emergencies may be required.
This position will be represented by Local 289 of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.
ARE YOU READY TO APPLY?:
This exciting opportunity to join County government is open to all applicants. A King County application is required. If you have any questions or concerns while applying, please contact Andres Boyer at 206-263-8388 or email@example.com
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer:
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
Location: Renton, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/kingcounty/jobs/2869594/heavy-duty-equipment-mechanic?page=5&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $31.41 - $39.82 HR