Bridge Maintenance Specialist Lead
Salary: $62,672.00 - $72,727.00 Annually
Location: King County – Other, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 20DOT-NWR-11265
Closing: 10/6/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure that people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is looking to hire a Journey Level maintenance professional to lead a crew as the Bridge Maintenance Specialist Lead in Medina, WA, working on our SR-520 floating bridge. Known as the Evergreen Point Floating Bridge, the SR-520 bridge was named as the world's longest floating bridge. This position will lead a crew to perform maintenance, repairs, and inspection of the SR-520 bridge and other bridge structures throughout WSDOT’s Northwest Region, helping to provide a safe and cost effective transportation system. As the Bridge Maintenance Specialist Lead, you will safely utilize heavy equipment and tools to ensure the safety of our bridges and the safety of the motoring public. By taking on this role, you are serving a key and vital function to the State of Washington's Transportation system.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Bridge Maintenance Specialist Lead will:
- Apply journey-level knowledge and skills in leading a crew with adherence to safety precautions, policies, and directives while performing job functions in the maintenance, repair, and inspection of floating, fixed, and movable bridges including approaches and related equipment.
- Lead a crew in safely operating equipment such as Under Bridge Inspection Truck (UBIT), mobile cranes, workboats in lengths of up to 40 feet, various man lifts, and light trucks, as well other types of power and hand tools.
- Assist the Bridge Maintenance Supervisor in sourcing material from vendors, communicating with internal and external partners, and developing crew schedules and safety plans.
- Adjust pontoon positioning cables with the use of hydraulic pumps and related equipment, performing routine and emergency repairs.
- Minimum Requirements:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A with N endorsement and without air brake restrictions.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in bridge maintenance, steel fabrication, carpentry, electrician, concrete, millwright, mechanic, or closely a related trade.
- Flagging Certification.
- Ability to lift and transport in excess of 50lbs with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to work next to highway traffic in a variety of weather conditions, including heat, cold, and inclement weather, negotiating steep, rough, and uneven terrain, working in confined spaces at heights above 100 ft. over land or water performing maintenance and repairs.
- Ability to be work ready on a standby on-call status to work any shift, including nights, weekends, and holidays, and be subject to overtime and emergency callouts as needed.
- Four (4) years of Journey Level experience in bridge maintenance or closely a related trade.
- Working knowledge of floating bridges.
- Boater certification.
- The listed salary for this position includes the Legislative approved King County premium.
- This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available to staff, including occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options, and free dental coverage! Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
- Tuition Assistance – Our employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further details your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact information to be included in the “References” section of the online application for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Eric Saniatan, at SaniatE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-NWR-11265 in the subject line.
Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
Location: King County/Other, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/2867210/bridge-maintenance-specialist-lead?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $62,672 - $72,727 YR