Heavy Equipment Mechanic - Equipment Technician 3 (Bellevue)
Salary: $60,692.00 - $70,407.00 Annually
Location: King County – Bellevue, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 20DOT-NWR-12506
Closing: 10/7/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT has an exciting opportunity for an experienced mechanic who wants to utilize their skills to work on a variety of motor vehicles and highway maintenance equipment for our Bellevue TEF Shop. We are looking for mechanics to perform preventative maintenance, inspection, and other services on all inventoried equipment including passenger vehicles, dump trucks, heavy equipment, and a variety of highway maintenance equipment. This position is critical in ensuring that equipment is ready to roll to keep our highways free of hazards and open to the traveling public year-round. If you are a reliable, safety-minded mechanic, then we have an exciting opportunity for you!
What to Expect:
- Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Heavy Equipment Mechanic will:
- Perform preventative maintenance, inspection, and correction of major and minor repairs on all WSDOT equipment, including all types of light and heavy equipment used in highway maintenance and construction.
- Troubleshoot, overhaul, and repair gas and diesel engines, transmissions, electrical & electronic systems, brakes, hydraulic systems, suspensions, steering and fuel systems.
- Repair and maintain steering and suspension systems; diagnoses and repairs hydraulic and air brake systems including anti-lock brake systems; designs, diagnoses, repairs, and installs hydraulic systems.
- Detect and repair safety items on equipment to reduce field down time and extend the service life of equipment used by WSDOT.
- Safely operate welders, drill press, grinder, press, hoist, air tools, jacks and other shop equipment.
- Fabricate, weld, and install additional equipment to vehicles.
- Maneuver in, on, around and under various pieces of equipment for the purpose of servicing, diagnostic testing, and repairing in an efficient manner.
- Keep shop safe, clean, and orderly.
- To be considered for this opportunity, at least one of the following are required:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent AND three (3) years of experience in the performance of preventative maintenance and repairs assisting a journey-level mechanic.
- Journey-level standing as a heavy equipment mechanic demonstrated by completion of a recognized apprenticeship.
- Journey- level standing as recognized by a labor union.
- One (1) year of experience as a journey-level mechanic maintaining and repairing heavy-duty equipment.
In addition to one of the above, the following are also required:
- The ability to obtain and maintain a valid Washington State Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A with endorsement N without air brake or automatic transmission restrictions and a current CDL DOT Medical Examiners Certificate within six (6) months of hire.
- Computer skills with the ability to operate Microsoft Office Suite and the M5 Fleet Equipment Management System.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in the written form.
- Experience reading and understanding equipment manuals, blueprints, and technical drawings.
- Ability to move and transport up to 50 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to stand stationary for periods up to 30 minutes at a time and alternate between standing and walking up to long periods per work shift.
- Experience operating computerized diagnostic testing equipment, welders, drill presses, hoists, air tools, and jacks.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
Successful completion of vocational technical training in heavy equipment, light vehicles and/or industrial/commercial equipment repair, including welding/fabrication.
This position is scheduled to work 6:00 AM – 4:30 PM; Tuesday – Friday.
The listed salary includes the Legislative approved King County Premium and Assignment Pay.
This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Robyn Lovely at LovelyR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-NWR-12506 in the subject line.
Location: Bellevue, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/2868409/heavy-equipment-mechanic-equipment-technician-3-bellevue?location%5b0%5d=king%20county&location%5b1%5d=skagit%20county&category%5b0%5d=Fleet%20Services&&keywords=heavy%20equipment%20mechanic&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $60,692 - $70,407 YR