Employer: US Department of the Interior
Equipment Operator II
US Department of the Interior - Wapato, WA
$25.82 an hour - Full-time, Part-time
This position is located with the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Wapato Irrigation Project in Wapato, Washington.
TRAVEL AND RELOCATION EXPENSES WILL NOT BE AUTHORIZED. ANY RELOCATION EXPENSES ASSOCIATED WITH REPORTING FOR DUTY WILL BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE SELECTED EMPLOYEE.
This position will support the Federal Government's response efforts to COVID-19.
◦ Operate heavy equipment including, track equipment, motor graders, scrapers, front end loaders, ditchers, backhoes, cranes, draglines, excavators, gradalls, and trucks up to 25 tons.
◦ Operate on most types of moderate difficult terrain and areas such as near buildings trees, drip offs, rocks, or other obstructions.
◦ Operate equipment safely.
◦ Check grades from grade stakes or from laser grade shooting equipment.
◦ Assist mechanics in overhaul and repair of equipment.
◦ Keep field records on operation and equipment.
Occasional travel - May be required to attend meetings, training or work related activities.
Supervisory status: No
Promotion Potential: 00
•Job family (Series: 5716 Engineering Equipment Operating
Conditions of Employment:
◦ U.S. Citizenship Required
◦ Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (title 25, USC Section 472). Form BIA -4432 must be submitted with the application if claiming Indian Preference.
◦ You will be required to have federal payments made by Direct Deposit
◦ You may be required to successfully complete a probationary/trial period
◦ A background security investigation will be required for all new hires. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication.
◦ If you are a male applicant born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
◦ Incumbent is required to operate a government motor vehicle, must possess a valid driver's license, and have a safe driving record within the 3 year period immediately preceding submittal of GSA Form 3607.
◦ In addition, the Incumbent is also required to possess a Class A CDL driver license. Incumbent is also required to obtain a tanker endorsement, within 120 days from the first day that the Incumbent reports to work.
◦ This position is subject to both pre-employment and random drug testing as a condition of employment. Applicants will not be appointed to the position if a verified positive drug test is received.
◦ Permanent full-time (furlough) seasonal position. Services will not be required at certain times due to lack of work, lack of funds, weather conditions, or other circumstances. Incumbent will be placed on a non-work, non-pay status.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Job Qualifications System for Trades and Labor Occupations (X-118C, Qualification Standard Handbook) will be used in determining applicants' qualifications. There is no specific length of training or experience required; however, you must be able to demonstrate through the experience shown in your written resume and your responses to the Occupational Questionnaire that you possess the competencies to perform the duties of this position without more than normal supervision.
Listed below are the JOB ELEMENTS you will be rated on:
◦ ABILITY TO DO THE WORK OF THE POSITION WITHOUT MORE THAN NORMAL SUPERVISION (screen-out element)
◦ ABILITY TO OPERATE CONSTRUCTION AND MAINTENANCE EQUIPMENT
◦ ABILITY TO MAINTAIN OPERATING EFFICIENCY OF CONSTRUCTION AND MAINTENANCE EQUIPMENT
◦ ABILITY TO INTERPRET INSTRUCTIONS AND SPECIFICATIONS PERTAINING TO EQUIPMENT BEING OPERATED
◦ ABILITY TO SAFELY OPERATE CONSTRUCTION AND MAINTENANCE EQUIPMENT
- All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
- Merit Promotion candidates must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the announcement closing date.
- Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (title 25, USC Section 472).
- Additional selections may be made from this announcement if identical vacancies occur in the same location within 90 days from the closing date.
If you are qualifying based on your education, you MUST provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unless otherwise stated: (1) official or unofficial transcripts are acceptable, or (2) you may submit a list with all of your courses, grades, semester, year, and credit for the course. All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.
If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society.
One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education which shows the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: FOREIGN EDUCATION
All new hires earn the beginning salary of their pay grade (Step 1). See 2020 Salary Tables here and select the duty station from the Wapato, Washington to choose the appropriate pay chart. If no specific chart is listed for this geographic location, see the "rest of U.S." chart.
The full performance level of this position is BB-00.
TELEWORK: Indian Affairs has determined that the duties of the position are not suitable for telework under any circumstances.
You will be required to operate a government-owned or leased motor vehicle in the performance of duties, therefore, a valid driver's license is required. Incumbent must have a safe driving record within the three-year period immediately preceding submittal of GSA Form 3607 and be able to meet the safe driving requirements of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. In addition, the Incumbent is also required to possess a Class A CDL driver license. Incumbent is also required to obtain a tanker endorsement, within 120 days from the first day that the Incumbent reports to work.
Career Transition Assistance Programs: These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information visit: http://www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp .
Certain candidates may be eligible to apply under a special hiring authority including those for disabled individuals, Peace Corps employees, Foreign Service employees, veterans, etc. For more information, visit the following OPM websites: USAJOBS Information Center: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/; Vets Info Guide: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/.
Former Federal Employees are required to indicate whether they received a Voluntary Separation Incentive Payment (VSIP) buyout in their previous employment with the Federal government, and are required to submit a copy of the applicable Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) regarding the VSIP. Most individuals who accept reemployment with the Federal government within 5 years of receiving the VSIP amount, must repay the gross amount of the separation pay prior to reemployment.
How You Will Be Evaluated:
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package will be evaluated against the minimum qualification requirements specified above. In order to qualify, your resume must specifically describe your work history and the duties you performed in each position. Your resume will be evaluated after the closing date of 10/05/2020 to determine whether you meet the minimum qualification requirements for this position. Competencies measured include:
◦ Decision Making
◦ Road Work and Pavement
◦ Safety Engineering
- We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If the information in your resume does not support your responses to the assessment questions, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your qualifications.
- Qualified Indian preference candidates will be referred to the hiring manager in order of veterans' preference.
- You may preview the assessment questions here in the https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10914178.
Background checks and security clearance
Security clearance: Q Access Authorization
Drug test required: Yes
Position sensitivity and risk: Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
The following documents are required for this position:
◦ Resume which details work experience including dates worked (mm/yy-mm/yy), position title, Grade (if federal service), and hours worked per week.
◦ On-line Assessment Questionnaire
◦ Most recent SF-50 (if applying under merit promotion. Be sure your SF-50 displays your tenure in box 24, your position in box 34, and that the SF-50 is not an award)
◦ Transcripts (if using education to qualify) - Unofficial transcripts are acceptable; however, an official transcript may be requested at a later time.
◦ Veteran's documentation - (if applicable) VA letter on VA letterhead stating your overall combined rating, SF-15, DD-214 (copy 4) reflecting an honorable discharge and dates of active duty military service.
◦ Special Appointing Authority documentation (if applying under a special hiring authority)
◦ BIA Form 4432 (if claiming Indian preference)
◦ Performance Appraisal (if applying under the Land Management Flexibility Act)
If you are applying as a VEOA candidate, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 and your letter from the VA reflecting an honorable discharge and that you either completed three years of active duty service or are a preference eligible. For more information see: https://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/shav/index.aspx#veoa.
If you are unable to apply online, require reasonable accommodation in the application process if you are an applicant with a disability, or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 11:59 PM Eastern Time ON THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. If your application package is incomplete in any way, you will not be considered for this position, and requests for extensions will not be granted. Please double check your application package before you submit it.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED OR ACCEPTED BY THIS OFFICE.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits:
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
•Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL)
Federal employees who meet the definition of a "surplus" or "displaced" employee.
•Federal employees - Competitive service
Current or former competitive service federal employees.
•Federal employees - Excepted service
Current excepted service federal employees.
•Individuals with disabilities
•Land & base management
Certain current or former term or temporary federal employees of a land or base management agency.
Native Americans or Alaskan Natives with a tribal affiliation.
Clarification from the agency:
Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (title 25, USC Section 472). Verification form BIA -4432 must be submitted with the application if claiming Indian Preference. No other documents will be accepted as proof of Indian Preference.
Location: Wapato, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/578787700
Base Pay: $25.82 HR