Hawthorne, CA, United States
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Starship is our massive, next-generation rocket that will propel humanity to the moon, Mars, and beyond. The welder is responsible for the fabrication and assembly of various secondary structures. You thrive in a scrappy, collaborative, and fast-paced environment in which the best ideas change company level direction on a regular basis.
- GTAW Class A welds; cut, trim, fit and fabricate metal components to dimensions for building and assembling
- Collaborate with lead welder to ensure that the proper weld procedure, type of material, and rod size are accurately assessed for each welding project
- Welding assembly and fabrication on various small to large scale structures and assemblies
- Modification, repair, assembly, and installation of the rocket and spacecraft
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications to plan welding operations where procedural information is unavailable
- Make a continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment
- Effectively communicate with management/supervisors, engineering staff, and planners to achieve build efficiency
- Check work after completion of each operation in job and/or completed job to ensure it is complete per drawing
- Handle and dispose of hazardous materials in approved manner
- Installation and assembly of custom and off-the-shelf tooling and machinery for building primary tank structure
- Setup of safety equipment and work platforms at elevation
- Driving of general shop equipment (forklifts, boom lifts, scissor lifts, etc.)
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 2+ years of welding experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years of experience in GTAW welding with one or more of the following materials; stainless steel, carbon steel, Inconel, aluminum and titanium
- Highly proficient in tube cutting, grinding and fabrication
- Highly experience in Class A welds
- Certifications with AWS D17.1 and D1.2
- Knowledge in DC welding techniques, and engineering requirements
- Knowledge in standard tools, materials, motions, and practices of the welding trade
- Knowledge in occupational hazards and effective safety precautions of the trade
- Knowledge in arc air procedures and equipment
- Experience in overhead cranes and forklifts
- Experience using precision measuring instruments
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- This role requires working from 5 AM - 3 PM; either Sunday through Wednesday or Wednesday through Saturday
- Able to lift at least 35 lbs unassisted
- Willing to travel up to 10%. Position is based in Hawthorne, CA, however work at other SpaceX facilities for extended periods for similar work may be required
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings and climbing hand over hand
- Willing to work all shifts, overtime, and weekends as needed
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location: Hawthorne, CA
Application Method: Online: https://boards.greenhouse.io/spacex/jobs/4854162002?gh_jid=4854162002
Base Pay: DOQ