Vandenberg, CA, United States
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Our Vandenberg launch pad systems and operations team is looking for a skilled electrical/instrumentation technician who shares our vision and are the best of the best. Your daily responsibilities will be wiring sensors, troubleshooting issues, and putting your mark on the future of spaceflight. Goals this large can only be achieved by a large team of top talent, so you will need to have strong teamwork and interpersonal skills, and an ego you can check at the door. Our work requires an amazing attention to detail as every decision helps to ensure safe and reliable flight of the next generation of launch vehicles.
- Read and interpret planning documents, schematics, datasheets/manuals, drawings, blueprints, and engineering sketches.
- Adjust, repair or replace faulty components of ground hardware, test, and integration equipment.
- Fabricate and install parts and systems used in launch environments using hand tools, power tools, and test instruments.
- Connect and verify pressure transducers, thermocouples, and other sensors.
- Install connectors, connector pins, terminals, and lugs.
- Complete necessary wiring of the electrical ground support equipment for ground systems.
- Collaborate with launch engineers to troubleshoot failures and issues derived from launch activities.
- Lay out, build, test, troubleshoot, repair and modify wiring of electronics racks and junction boxes.
- Perform maintenance tasks as required in a variety of roles for vehicle integration, pad maintenance, site preventative maintenance, general facilities, and any other general maintenance work as required to maintain an operational launch site.
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate.
- 2+ years of experience as a mechanic, technician, or construction worker.
- 3+ years of experience using power tools in a professional capacity.
- 1+ years of experience with electronic system assembly and construction.
- 3+ years of experience working with any of the following instrumentation: resistance temperature devices (RTDs), thermocouples, strain gages, load cells, displacement transducers,or pressure transducers.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Basic knowledge of Wheatstone bridge theory, ability to apply ohms law, and an understanding of DC electronics.
- Associate degree in instrumentation, control technology, electrical systems, or another related field.
- Experience working in corrosive environments and mitigation techniques.
- Operational knowledge of an oscilloscope, multimeter, soldering wires, or connectors.
- System level troubleshooting skills and the ability to logically solve instrumentation system problems and determine corrective action.
- Knowledge of signal conditioning concepts for various types of sensors to include the following: thermocouple Types K,S, and E; TC bonding concepts: resistance weld on and adhesive bond on types; TC probes through thermowell sheaths; cold junction compensation concepts.
Background should include experience with the following devices:
- DC power supplies; DC-DC converters; UPS installations; heat shrink tubing, cable harnessing, lacing, and proper strain relief concepts.
- Working knowledge of transducers, operational amplifiers, and the knowledge of measurement techniques for temperature, pressure, flow, displacement, vibration and the application strain gages. Identify required data, data acquisition plans and test parameters, setting up equipment to conform to these specifications.
- Working knowledge of multiple bus architectures (PCI/PCIe, PXI/PXIe, GPIB, Serial, USB, etc.) and data communication technologies.
- Demonstrated capabilities in the development of comprehensive project plans that include all tasks; stage/gate milestones, and reviews necessary to successfully develop and implement solutions.
- Intermediate skill level using Windows Operating Systems.
- Intermediate skill level using Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, OneNote).
- Knowledge in data acquisition concepts, hardware, and interfacing (SCXI and PXI based).
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Vandenberg.
- Work schedule varies depending on site operational needs, and flexibility is required.
- Willing to travel to other SpaceX locations as necessary.
- Able to lift a minimum of 35 lbs. unassisted.
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position.
- Able to work at elevated heights (up to 300 feet), including the use of ladders.
- Able to work in confined spaces.
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments heat, cold, rain, ice.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location: Vandenberg, CA
Application Method: Online: https://boards.greenhouse.io/spacex/jobs/4845353002?gh_jid=4845353002
Base Pay: DOQ