Employer: City of Yakima
Job Title: Fleet Maintenance Technician (11:30 AM - 8:00 PM)
Closing Date/Time: Mon. 09/28/20 4:00 PM Pacific Time
Salary: $20.64 - $24.67 Hourly
$3,577.60 - $4,276.13 Monthly
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Public Works: 2301 Fruitvale Blvd. Yakima, Washington
The City of Yakima is a premier employer in the Yakima Valley with extensive opportunities for training and growth. The City offers a competitive benefit package including:
• Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage
• FREE healthcare clinic!
• WA State PERS pension plan and employer contribution to a 457 deferred compensation plan
• Generous accruals for vacation and sick leave
• Much more!
MINIMUM CLASS REQUIREMENTS:
- Any combination of education or experience equivalent to completion of high school plus one year previous experience in servicing automobile equipment or in work related to the class. Possession of mechanical aptitude is required.
- Shall be subject to drug and alcohol testing, pursuant to Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations (49 CFR Part 40) and either the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (49 CFR Part 382) or the Federal Transit Administration’s Regulations (49 CFR Part 655), as applicable.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES:
Must possess/obtain and maintain a valid a Basic First Aid, including CPR and AED, a valid Class A or B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with a passenger endorsement within 6 months of employment.
- Under general supervision, services and maintains City vehicles and equipment; provides written information which is input to the computer information system; diagnoses malfunctions; performs minor mechanical and electrical repairs; assists mechanics as requested, and performs related work as required.
- This position is scheduled to work Monday through Friday 11:30 AM - 8:00 PM.
- Dispenses gas and diesel fuel, changes oil and lubricates City vehicles and equipment, cleans vehicles, steam cleans engines and chassis.
- Performs preventive maintenance and safety services such as: inspecting brakes, steering, lights, clutches, generators and other items for proper operation; adjusts clutches and brakes, may assist mechanic in electrical repairs or over hauls.
- Checks tires and repairs flats, checks tires to identify recapping needed, schedules equipment for tire services.
- Transports vehicles to vendors to obtain necessary bids when body and frame work is necessary. Removes unsafe vehicles from service as directed by the Supervisor. Using computer, writes stock issue request or a stock requisition if the stock is not available in current inventory.
- Makes road calls when city vehicles break down; assists in getting city vehicles that are stuck in snow back on the road. Perform on-site safety inspections on city vehicles that have been in an accident; inspect the damage and release the vehicle for service, drive back to the shop for repairs, or call a tow truck.
- Requires regular and reliable attendance.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Major Worker Characteristics:
Knowledge of tools and methods used in the repair of vehicles and equipment. Perform proper lubrication for all types of equipment and vehicles. Ability to: follow written and oral instructions; do strenuous work; occasionally lift up to 25lbs.; identify servicing needs and adjustments; use a variety of hand tools; operates a computer and inputs data into the database management system.
Work is performed primarily inside and occasionally outside. Continuous use of both hands in reaching/handling/grasping/fingering while performing duties operating on various vehicles, equipment and machinery. Occasional heavy work includes lifting and carrying up to 25 pounds. Frequently ascends/descends stairs, ladders, and inclines while maintaining balance. Physical strength and ability sufficient to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods. Frequent bending/twisting at knees/waist/neck while performing mechanical repairs and maintenance items. Occasional kneeling/crouching/crawling while making repairs in confined spaces and awkward positions. May work at heights, alone, with others, or in noisy work area. Work will require occasional travel to a variety of locations. May require constant moving, sitting or standing for excessive periods of time. Occassional work outside with all weather extremes, be exposed to dust, smoke, electrical hazards, noxious odors, fumes, chemicals, solvents, oil, and/or vibrations. Continuous use of all senses including feeling/talking/hearing/seeing while performing duties and while communicating with co-workers, general public and completing all tasks as assigned. Must be able to distinguish color and maintain long-term and short-term memory. Will be required to wear safety protective gear continuously. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
UNUSUAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Exposure to extremes of weather, fumes and odors, engine noise, unsanitary conditions on refuse and sewer equipment.
Location: Yakima, WA
Application Method: Online: https://agency.governmentjobs.com/yakimawa/default.cfm?action=viewJob&jobID=2850121&hit_count=yes&headerFooter=1&promo=0&transfer=0&WDDXJobSearchParams=%3CwddxPacket%20version%3D%271%2E0%27%3E%3Cheader%2F%3E%3Cdata%3E%3Cstruct%3E%3Cvar%20name%3D%27TRANSFER%27%3E%3Cstring%3E0%3C%2Fstring%3E%3C%2Fvar%3E%3Cvar%20name%3D%27CATEGORYID%27%3E%3Cstring%3E%2D1%3C%2Fstring%3E%3C%2Fvar%3E%3Cvar%20name%3D%27FIND%5FKEYWORD%27%3E%3Cstring%3E%3C%2Fstring%3E%3C%2Fvar%3E%3Cvar%20name%3D%27PROMOTIONALJOBS%27%3E%3Cstring%3E0%3C%2Fstring%3E%3C%2Fvar%3E%3C%2Fstruct%3E%3C%2Fdata%3E%3C%2FwddxPacket%3E
Base Pay: $20.64 - $24.67 HR