Highway Maintenance Worker 2
Salary: $50,236.00 - $61,173.00 Annually
Location: King County – Kent, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 20DOT-NWR-11006m
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking two Highway Maintenance Worker 2 positions in Kent, WA. These positions will assist a team of maintenance professionals in the maintenance, repair, and installation of traffic control signs. These signs provide uniformity, guidance, and safety for all elements of the traveling public including vehicular traffic, pedestrian traffic, and bicycle traffic. In this job, the incumbents will perform inspections of reflectivity and overall sign conditions while utilizing a variety of hand and power tools, install and maintain signage, as well as assist in reviewing work orders for replacing and installing new signs.
In addition, these positions will you will assist with the area’s maintenance and operations of the state highways and adjacent right of ways to ensure the traveling public's safety. Working in the maintenance area requires responsible, safety-minded individuals to perform a variety of skilled labor tasks and operate highway equipment and tools.
What to Expect:
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
- Assist in assembling, installing and replacing of signs, sign components, and sign posts.
- Assist in layout and set-up of traffic control, including setting up signage, manually flagging traffic, and operating attenuator/buffer truck.
- Assist with seasonal highway maintenance work such as snow and ice removal.
- Repair and maintain drainage facilities and structures, roadway surfaces, roadside hardware, guardrails, fences, shoulders, and right-of-way.
- Report any encroachments or other irregularities on the highway; remove roadway obstructions.
- Complete minor preventative maintenance and mechanical repairs on equipment.
- Safely operate Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A, B and C equipment and power tools.
- Respond to emergency call outs and/or work overtime on short notice (days, nights, holidays, and weekends).
- Participate and carry out the Department's safety program.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- At least two (2) years of highway maintenance, timber operations, farming, excavation, heavy equipment operations or related experience.
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent education.
- Valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A with endorsement N and without air brakes restrictions, and current medical card.
- Effective communication skills with diverse groups utilizing oral, written, and electronic communication methods.
- The ability to lift and transport materials and equipment up to 50 pounds.
- The ability to traverse uneven and steep terrain adjacent to traffic.
- The ability to operate heavy equipment in severe weather conditions.
- The ability to climb ladders and work at varying height levels.
- The ability to climb in and out of equipment, and work in confined spaces.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- A Washington State Flagging Card (a current card will be required within one month of employment).
- A Washington State Pesticide Applicator's License.
- A Backflow Prevention Tester Certification.
- A Crane Certificate.
This recruitment will be used to fill two positions. Candidates will be considered for both positions.
The salary listed for this position includes a legislative approved 5% premium for workers in King County.
Application review will begin on September 24, 2020. Candidate selection may take place at any time thereafter. It is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible.
This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. Employees in this position enjoy a 4/10 schedule.
Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information may be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese at email@example.com. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-NWR-11006m in the subject line.
Location: King County – Kent, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/2853976/highway-maintenance-worker-2
Base Pay: $50,236 - $61,173 YR