Employer: Yakima County
Yakima County Courthouse
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt (eligible for overtime)
Compensation: $16.74 per hour/37.5 hours per week
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
Job Posting Closes: Sunday, September 6, 2020
Yakima County Prosecuting Attorney's Office has one opening for an Office Specialist performing specialized office support activities involving creating, maintaining, processing, recording, accessing, analyzing data and releasing documents, files and other information governed by strict laws, rules and regulations.
This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies that occur within 90 days of the closing of this position.
1. Creates legal documents and prepares litigation files as needed by attorneys for court. Creates, summarizes, edits and/or distributes a variety of legal documents for Felony, District Court, Juvenile, Paternity, UIFSA, Contempt and/or ITA, appellate cases and garnishments.
2. Completes detailed research in various confidential databases to identify witnesses, and law enforcement officers, locate absent parents and/or prepare confidential Involuntary Treatment Act files for hearings and cross check gun permits.
3. Creates and maintains complex files and databases such as official records or legal case files. Maintains filing systems in accordance with established procedures.
4. Provides assistance to the general public and other agencies. Performs specialized activities such as processing discovery, case conflict analysis, providing non-certified legal interpreting services during confidential interviews for paralegals and attorneys and/or processing garnishments for all Yakima County departments.
5. Disseminates discovery to defense and contacts law enforcement for supplemental reports. Witnesses, prepares and certifies chain of custody for genetic draws for paternity establishment and/or satisfaction of Judgments for the Yakima County Clerk’s Office.
6. Other duties required.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or G.E.D. and three years of general office or specialty experience; or any combination of education and experience which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation.
- This is an AFSCME 87 Master Contract Bargaining Unit position.
- The work schedule for this position is Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
- Imaging system; and
- Fax machine.
- Duties require travel, reaching, standing, walking, fingering, hearing, talking and visual activity.
- This position is considered Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
- Legal process and pleadings;
- Legal terminology;
- Office practices and procedures;
- File maintenance techniques; and
- Customer service techniques.
Skills and Abilities:
- Performing tasks under deadline pressures;
- Organizing and maintaining case file data;
- Using office equipment, computers and related software applications;
- Preparing technical reports;
- Applying customer service techniques;
- Establishing and maintaining effective interpersonal relationships; and
- Communication, both oral and written.
“AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER”
Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and the Disabled are encouraged to apply.
Yakima County ensures equal employment opportunities regardless of a person’s age, color, creed, sensory, mental or physical disability, genetic information, marital status, national origin, political belief, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and military status, or any other protected status under federal or state statute.
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION:
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish the information.
Disabled applicants may request accommodation to participate in the job application and/or selection process for employment. Please contact Human Resources for further information.
Yakima County is a qualified Public Service entity for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. For more information, go to http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/charts/public-service or contact your federal loan servicer.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Yakima County will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States.
Yakima County is an E-Verify Employer.
Location: Yakima, WA
Application Method: Online: https://yakimacounty.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/YakimaCountyWA/job/Yakima-County-Courthouse/Office-Specialist_R138
Base Pay: $16.74 HR