Winter Highway Maintenance Worker (Non-permanent) | South Central Region
Salary: $18.93 - $27.90 Hourly
Location: Multiple Locations - Eastern Washington, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Non-Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 20DOT-SCR-WinterTemp
Closing: 9/30/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking to fill multiple non-permanent Highway Maintenance Worker positions for winter maintenance season. We are looking for self-motivated individuals who are mechanically inclined and enjoy working outdoors. The successful candidates will perform a variety of skilled tasks including operating snow removal equipment, repairing roadways, maintaining culverts and catch basins, removing debris, and providing traffic control for these operations. If you are dedicated to protecting the public from driving hazards and enjoy working outdoors, consider applying to this position.
These positions may be filled at either the Highway Maintenance Worker 1 or Highway Maintenance Worker 2 level depending on qualifications. The hourly wages for each level are:
- Highway Maintenance Worker 1 ($18.93 – 22.91 Hourly)
- Highway Maintenance Worker 2 ($22.91 – 27.90 Hourly)
What to Expect
WSDOT maintenance personnel are expected to respond quickly to clear highways of hazards to ensure the public has safe and seamless access to travel.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Highway Maintenance Worker will:
- Proficiently operate a variety of heavy equipment to safely and efficiently apply anti-icing compounds, and remove snow and ice from road surfaces.
- Follow traffic control plans, and perform traffic control operations, which may require standing for long periods of time through work zones, and/or vehicle accidents.
- Repair and maintain drainage facilities and structures, roadway surfaces, roadside hardware, guardrails, fences, shoulders, and right-of-way.
- Report any encroachments or other irregularities on the highway; remove roadway obstructions.
- Complete minor preventative maintenance and mechanical repairs on equipment.
- Perform grounds keeping and shop care for maintenance facilities.
- Respond to emergency call outs and/or work overtime on short notice (days, nights, holidays, and weekends).
- Provide excellent customer service when interacting with the traveling public.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent.
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or Class B, without restrictions, and current medical card.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience performing highway maintenance, roadway construction, or related experience such as, landscaping, farming, forestry, construction, or heavy equipment operation.
- Effective communication skills with diverse groups utilizing oral, written, and electronic communication methods.
- Basic computer/electronic tablet skills with the ability to communicate, capture, and retrieve information.
- The ability to lift and transport materials and equipment up to 50 pounds.
- The ability to traverse uneven and steep winter terrain adjacent to traffic.
- The ability to operate heavy equipment in severe weather conditions, including snow and ice events.
- The ability to climb ladders and work at varying height levels.
- The ability to climb in and out of equipment, and work in confined spaces.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A with N (cargo/tanker) endorsement without airbrake restrictions and current medical card.
- Two (2) years’ experience performing highway maintenance, roadway construction, or related experience.
- Flagger Certification.
- First Aid Certification.
- These are non-permanent positions with an expected duration of 3-6 months through the winter maintenance season.
- Some positions maybe part-time or on-call.
- This recruitment will be used to fill positions in multiple areas throughout the South Central Region, which includes Asotin, Benton, Columbia, Franklin, Garfield, Kittitas, Walla Walla, and Yakima counties and surrounding areas. (Specific locations are listed in the supplemental questions).
- The recruiting efforts for these positions may be extended beyond the displayed closing date until all available positions have been filled.
- Applications will be evaluated weekly throughout this recruitment process, with the first review date on September 15, 2020. The hiring authority reserves the right to offer positions at any time thereafter. It is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible.
- These positions are subject to the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
- Seasonal Work – Great for those who are looking for winter seasonal work, with the potential of coming back next year.
- Career Possibilities – Great way to get your foot in the door and see if a career in Highway Maintenance/State Service is something you would enjoy.
- Holiday Pay – Winter is also holiday season! This opportunity provides up to 5 paid holidays within this non-perm duration.
- Utilize Expertise – Share your knowledge and experience with others.
- Build Your Resume – Learn new transferable skills to add to your resume.
- Benefits – Some positions may be eligible for medical and retirement benefits. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov.
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese at GieseR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-SCR-WinterTemp in the subject line.
Location: Eastern WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/2848325/winter-highway-maintenance-worker-non-permanent-south-central-region
Base Pay: $18.93 – $27.90 HR