Employer: NW Natural Gas Construction
Natural Gas Distribution Construction Trainee
NW Natural- Vancouver, WA
Posted: 8/7/2020-Expires: 11/5/2020
Job ID: 219383707
Natural Gas Distribution Construction Trainee
Union Position; Up to 8 positions
Core Distribution; Portland, Oregon (US-OR)
Posting # 1158
Our Natural Gas construction crews keep the Pacific Northwest up and running! Crew members are responsible for more than just our meters and pipes—they are problem solvers, fixer-uppers, and field experts. Do you enjoy working with your hands and getting the satisfaction from starting and completing a project from scratch? If so, please consider applying for our team!
NW Natural offers all new construction trainees an intensive year-long training program after hire; as a trainee, you are responsible for bringing the enthusiasm and drive to learn. Our construction family of jobs also offers opportunities within the company to progress in the ranks, so qualified trainees are always in demand!
Day to Day:
Performs construction and related activities on mains, services, and related equipment.
Performs mechanical connections, pipe fusing, and pipe joining work.
Plugs, taps, tests, and purges mains or service.
Builds and replaces meter sets, regulators, and house-lines.
Pre-inspects job sites and inspects customer-provided excavations.
Coordinates jobs including attendance at pre-construction meetings and serving as liaison with internal and external stakeholders regarding permits, installation dates, saw cuts, etc.
Appropriately wears required protective equipment and safety gear.
Operates Company vehicles in compliance with state/local laws and Company policies and procedures.
Maintains punctual, regular, and reliable attendance.
Come on your first day with:
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and ability in field construction requirements related to this position.
- Ability to use associated tools and mechanized equipment such as backhoe, mini-excavator, bore machine, dump trucks, and jack hammer.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in pipeline or other utility construction.
- Demonstrated skills/knowledge with proper digging techniques.
- Basic math and reading skills.
- Ability to interface with employees and customers to answer questions or resolve issues with tact and diplomacy.
Manual dexterity adequate to effectively use basic tools including hand tools, power/pneumatic tools, etc.
- Ability to perform physically demanding work involving walking, standing, bending, twisting, wrist turning, grasping, lifting, squatting, kneeling, reaching, or assuming awkward postures for 8+ hours.
- Ability to hear normal voice at 3 feet; warning signals/horns during field operations.
- Near/distant vision for driving and reading information to complete work assignments.
- Moderate/severe exposure to uneven surfaces, noise, vibration, high-speed rotating machinery, and odorant inhalation.
- Must be able to lift a maximum of 90 lbs.
- Must be able to transport and load/unload equipment and materials at worksites in compliance with state/local and Company regulations.
- Ability to work in adverse weather or terrain conditions.
- Ability to safely operate Company vehicles/equipment and perform inspections and minor maintenance as necessary and in compliance with Company policies and state/local laws.
- Valid OR/WA driver’s license, any required certifications and/or endorsements, and satisfactory driving record. Must hold, or be able to obtain a valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A. Must obtain a valid Oregon/Washington driver's license within 90 days if current valid license is from another state. Driving record will be pulled at time of offer to ensure it meets our strict driving standards.
- Must successfully meet requirements for respirator use.
- Must be able to work overtime and travel outside the assigned location for extended overnight stays.
- Qualified bidders must be able to respond to their assigned Resource Center within 40 minutes.
- Subject to random drug testing.
Training and Wage:
Starting hourly rate of $28.05 with increases as successful training benchmarks are met.
Great healthcare options and wellness benefits.
What we offer:
Arguably the most competitive healthcare and wellness benefits in the Pacific Northwest
Green Team / Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Council / Safety Team / Women’s Network
Numerous volunteer and community engagement opportunities
Employee Stock Purchase Plan with a 15% discount
20% Employee discount on Natural Gas
Application Process: To be considered for this position, submit a complete electronic application including cover letter and resume via our website.
Deadline: August 23, 2020
All applications must be submitted through NW Natural's Electronic Application System. Resumes submitted via email, fax or mail will not be accepted in lieu of an electronic application.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other federal, state or locally protected class.
We are a drug free workplace and we comply with Federal Drug Free Workplace Act and Department of Transportation regulations. Pre-employment drug tests are part of the hiring process and apply to all positions.
NW Natural does not accept unsolicited submissions or assistance from search firms for posted positions. Resumes submitted by search firms working under a valid and current written contract with NW Natural valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from NW Natural HR/Employment will be deemed the sole property of NW Natural. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by NW Natural as a result of the referral or through other means.
Nearest Major Market: Portland Oregon
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any federal, state or locally protected class.
Location: Vancouver, WA
Application Method: Online: https://seeker.worksourcewa.com/jobview/GetJob.aspx?JobID=219383707&JobTitle=Natural+Gas+Distribution+Construction+Trainee&isjs=2&q=Apprentice+&rad_units=miles&pp=25&nosal=true&vw=b&setype=2&pg=2&re=3&jsrdt=47%2f13%2f2020+09%3a47%3a09&pade=&jpt=1
Base Pay: Starting hourly rate of $28.05 with increases as successful training benchmarks are met. Great healthcare options and wellness benefits.